I'm sure the minutes from the November meeting will be posted soon, but in the meantime there are a few items of information I wanted to get out to everyone right away, most of which were announced at the meeting for those who were there, but some of which have changed slightly since then. In more or less chronological order:
The newly elected officers for 2013 are John Bell - President, Robert Rushman - President Elect, Robert Hughes - Vice President, Robert Gadbois - Treasurer, and John Gerty - Secretary. Apparently you have to be either a John or a Bob to get elected around here, which makes Mr. Loftus a prime candidate for next year.
- The UASC / LOUP Holiday Party will be at the Burnham Park Yacht Club on Saturday December 15th starting at 6:30, and tickets are $32 / person payable to "LOUP". Since that is now less than 10 days away it may be too late to add any more attendees, so contact Scott Reimer at
ASAP if you want to go and have not yet paid, or for more information.
- Keith and Celeste Pearson have graciously offered to host the UASC New Years Eve Party at their house, 1015 S. Madison, LaGrange, IL 60525, starting at 7:30 P.M. on December 31st. Keith says that they will have some food, beer, wine, soft drinks, and party favors available. Contact Keith at
or 708 579-0619 if you have any other questions or just want to find out if Chet is invited too. :-)
- UASC will be holding another Research Workshop with Brendon Baillod on Saturday January 19th at UIC campus. The first part of the workshop will be a quick review for those who missed the first course / refresher for those who attended, and the remainder of the workshop will cover how to identify a shipwreck and some of the legal issues involving shipwrecks. Cost for a full-day workshop including lunch and a continental breakfast is $80 for those attending for the first time and a reduced-fare price of $50 for those who attended in March, ( in recognition of the fact that the first part will be a refresher for those who attended before. ) I am attaching a flyer that Don Doherty prepared, with a note that the actual room location has changed, but the workshop will still be held on UIC campus. ( Full details and maps will be provided to registered participants. ) Signups for this workshop are at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JD29PXW
- We are also scheduling a one or two day workshop on ROVs with Mark Gleason, most likely for the weekend of April 27th and 28th, either at Haigh Quarry or Scuba Systems depending on the number of students and the weather, at a cost of $50 for a one-day course or $75 for a two-day course. ( We were also looking at the 20th / 21st, but the instructor developed a conflict with that weekend. ) Please fill out the survey athttp://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7HTHL8W if you are interested in this workshop, ( even if you signed up at or before the November meeting, since some issues have changed. )
- NEW ITEM: Michael Angelo has negotiated with Jim Gentile for a regular Thursday night charter series for UASC for $420 for the boat, which works out to $70 per person if we get 6 divers, $84 pp for 5 divers, or $105 pp if only 4 divers are available on any given Thursday night. We would cancel if there were less than 4 or 5 divers, and Jim could cancel if he had a regular paying customer who wanted a charter for that night. ( Note that at these prices Jim is just breaking even on his expenses, and donating his time to the group. ) Please reply to this e-mail and/or send e-mail to Michael Angelo at
if you would be interested in participating in a regular Thursday evening survey dive this summer, so we can see if there is enough interest to confirm this arrangement.
- LAST ITEM: Finally, it is that time of year again, when it is time for all of us to renew our memberships and/or update our membership information. Renewal / update forms were available at the November meeting, and any that were not picked up will be mailed out this week, so watch your mailboxes for those to arrive soon. Dues for 2013 are remaining at $35 for individuals and $50 for families, and cover the time frame from January 1 to December 31.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon, at one party or another,