Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 26 June 2013
(Meeting Minutes written July31st, 2013 by John Gerty)
- Approximately 34 members and guests met at 6:30 pm. This month’s location was the Chicago Maritime Museum located on the 6th floor of the Helix Building on the southwest corner of Racine and Jackson.
Board and Committee Reports
- President – John Bell welcomed everyone.
- Secretary – John Gerty was present. The March meeting minutes were submitted.
- Treasurer –Bob Gabois, reported on the status of the Treasury.
- Membership Report – Scott Reimer provided updated membership rosters.
- Eileen Skib-Bach Memorial Dive, June 22 – At Haigh Quarry; there will be a day of diving followed by a potluck dinner at 5:15pm and a night dive.
- Thursday Night Dive Charters with Windy City Diving- UASC has agreed to establish six scheduled dive dates this season with Captn. Jim Gentile. These dives will occur on Thursday evenings. Cost will be underwritten by UASC to provide support for current shipwreck research projects. 4 to 6 divers will be accommodated. Cost will be $40 pp with 6 divers; $50 pp for 5 divers; or $60 pp for 4 divers. Support is only for specific plans to accomplish specific goals on current research projects.
- The Brendon Baillod program on Research Methodology: This follow-up program is still being worked on. An announcement will be made via email once things are decided upon.
- Next UASC Meeting is July 31st: The speaker is to be announced in the next meeting announcement email. Thank you Jim Jarecki for arranging our speakers.
- Next ICSSD Meeting is on July 26th.
- Survey Reports:
- Car Ferry Barge No. 2: A new wheel chock assembly was uncovered on the (diver) starboard side around S040. Orientation tag inspection was performed and missing tags have been recorded.
- Val’s Wreck: Nothing new to report.
- Flora Hill: Michaelangelo was able to deploy his mosaic camer. Vis was reported to be marginal.
- Silver Spray: Jonathan Plotner reported snorkeling has been hampered by low visibility.
- Wells Burt: Planning to perform comparison of current imaging with earlier plan drawing.
- Solon H. Johnson: Upcoming dive(s) planned. Bow section was last seen at the north end of Illinois Beach State Park. It is continuing to be broken apart. Inaction by public agencies may have sealed the fate of this part of the wreck.
- July 31st speaker is: TBD. John Gerty may report on the Mystic Seaport Museum or the San Diego Maritime Museum.
- ICSSD reported by Claire Gadbois:
- July 28th:Jim Haigh Memorial Dive
- September 21st: International Beach Clean-up Day- Location TBD
- October 19th President’s Night: At 6:30pm at Angelo’s Restaurant in Elmhurst.
- Chicago Scuba Meetup: Held on 3rd Mondays at Jak’s Tap.
Thank you Julie Schiebe and Rob Hughes for providing tonight’s refreshments.
Refreshments for the July meeting will be provided by Chet Childs.
Featured Speaker: Keith Pearson
Subject: Wells Burt
UASC Past President and Founding Member, Keith Pearson, along with Taras Lyssenko and Al Olson of A&T Recovery were the original discoverers of the schooner Wells Burt. Kieth will review the history, discovery and original survey of the Wells Burt. Further discussion about the future of this important wreck will follow.
The Wells Burt was a three-masted schooner launched in 1873. It foundered in a Lake Michigan storm off Chicago in May of 1883. She was one of the most intact wrecks discovered in the vicinity of Chicago.
- UASC- Scheduled speakers have been named for October: Stephen Cullen, of WUA; November: James Delgado; December: Holiday Party; January 2014: UASC Survey Project Reports.
- Refreshments – Thanks to Dan Kasberger for his continuing organizing of the refreshments.
- Meeting Ended – The meeting ended with project leaders presenting reports and stating future goals for their endeavors.
- Adjournment: Discussions continue after the meeting at Union Park or Ricobenes’s.