Written by John Gerty
Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 26 September 2012
- Approximately 30 members and guests met at 6:30pm. Our meeting was hosted by the Chicago Maritime Museum on on the 6th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New Members: Coren Warden
This month's speaker was Peter Hirthe. Peter has been on the Board of Trustees of the Wisconsin Marine Historical Society. For the past decade he has served as Treasurer, Vice President and was ultimately elected President in 2011.
This evening's Bonus was a video of the Buccaneer. It documented the effects that two years worth of Lake Michigan waves have had upon the vessel, even though she is 70 feet down.
Tonight's meeting was conducted by our President, John Bell. Refreshments were provided by: an adhoc group
Board and Committee Reports
- President - John Bell
- Secretary - John Gerty provided copies of the minutes, from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Treasurer – Bob Gadbois reported the status of the treasury
- Contact Bob for further details.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer.
- Web Site - Jack Bolous
- Send any information or suggestions to
- Content always appreciated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- DiveHeart Liaison - Don Doherty
- Diveheart is looking for donations of old scuba gear for pool training.
- Check the DiveHeart web site for info on upcoming events.
Our Current UASC Officers and Committee Chairs:
- President: John Bell
- Vice President: Bob Rushman
- Treasurer: Bob Gadbois
- Secretary: John Gerty
- The following committee heads are:
- Newsletter Editor: Delphine Pontvieux
- Speaker Coordinator: Jim Jarecki
- Survey Coordinator: John Gerty
- Webmaster: Jack Bolous
- Refreshments Coordinator: Dan Kasberger
- Membership Chair: Scott Reimer
- ICSSD Liaison: Claire Gadbois
- DiveHeart Liaison: Gene Hasiak
- Safety Coordinator: Chet Childs
- Training coordinator: Beth Plotner
- September 15th is International Beach Clean-up Day. Contact Bob or Margo Miller. The project is Rainbow Beach.
- October 16th ICSSD holds its underwater pumpkin carving contest at Haigh Quarry
- ICSSD President's Night will be October 27th, at Morettis's Restaurant,at Busse Rd and Oakton. It will cost $27 per person for the banquet.
- October 17-21st: MSU hosts the Midwest Archaeological Conference. It be held in East Lansing, Michigan.
- October 20th The Shipwreck &Technology Show will be held at Muskegon, Michigan
- Proposed Workshops and Training Opportunities: Brendon Bailod, Part II ROV Workshop with June Speaker Mark Gleason. NAS Level I program
- Rouse Simmons Centennial Program will be presented at the Chicago History Museum on Friday November 30th. Christmas tree distribution from a U. S. Coast Guard Cutter will take place on December 1st. Volunteers are needed for both events, contact Don Doherty or Chet Childs.
- Next meeting: Wednesday October 24th, 2012.
- Speaker: Fred Neuschel, presenting a program on the history of the Christmas Tree Trade on Lake Michigan.
- Elections for UASC Officers will be held at the November 28th meeting.
- Sale of Helix Building: With the announcement oft the sale of the Helix building. UASC will have to find another meeting venue. Bob Rushman will be coordinating the search for our new space. All UASC members are encouraged to start thinking about this transition. Any suggestions for alternate meeting sites will be greatly appreciated.
- Refreshments to be provided by: TBA
- Requests: none made.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger (
) Refreshments coordinator.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers are always needed.