Written by John Gerty
Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 24 October 2012
- Approximately 35 members and guests met at 6:30pm. Our meeting was hosted by the Chicago Maritime Museum on on the 6th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New Members:
This month's speaker is Fred Neuschel, presenting a program on the history of the Christmas Tree Trade on Lake Michigan. Fred is the author of Lives and Legends of the Christmas Tree Ships. 2012 is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Rouse Simmons, so his talk will be especially meaningful.
This evening's Bonus is presentation by John Gerty on the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, Maine.
Tonight's meeting was conducted by our President, John Bell. Refreshments were provided by: an adhoc group
Board and Committee Reports
- President - John Bell
- Secretary - John Gerty provided copies of the minutes, from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Treasurer – Bob Gadbois reported the status of the treasury
- Contact Bob for further details.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer.
- Web Site - Jack Bolous
- Send any information or suggestions to
- Content always appreciated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- DiveHeart Liaison - Don Doherty
- Diveheart is looking for donations of old scuba gear for pool training.
- Check the DiveHeart web site for info on upcoming events.
Our Current UASC Officers and Committee Chairs:
- President: John Bell
- Vice President: Bob Rushman
- Treasurer: Bob Gadbois
- Secretary: John Gerty
- The following committee heads are:
- Newsletter Editor: Delphine Pontvieux
- Speaker Coordinator: Jim Jarecki
- Survey Coordinator: John Gerty
- Webmaster: Jack Bolous
- Refreshments Coordinator: Dan Kasberger
- Membership Chair: Scott Reimer
- ICSSD Liaison: Claire Gadbois
- DiveHeart Liaison: Gene Hasiak
- Safety Coordinator: Chet Childs
- Training coordinator: Beth Plotner
- October 27th, ICCSD President's Night Award Banquet. & Raffle.
- October 27th, WUAA Annual Conference, Milwaukee, WI.
- November 14-17th, DEMA, Las Vegas.
- November 17th Shipwrecks & Scuba, Huron, Ohio.
- November 30th, Rouse Simmons Centennial Program will be presented at the Chicago History Museum. Christmas tree distribution from a U. S. Coast Guard Cutter will take place on December 1st. Volunteers are needed for both events, contact Don Doherty or Chet Childs.
- December 8th, Christmas Tree Schooner Play. This is a UASC social event. It will be held a the Mercury Theater, Chicago
- December 15th, LOUP & UASC Holiday Party.
- January 30th, UASC Monthly Meeting features Anna Roosevelt >February 15-17th, Our World Underwater, Rosemont Convention Ctr.
- February 23rd, Chicago Maritime Festival.
- March 15-16th, Ghost Ships Festival. Milwaukee, WI.
- Proposed Workshops and Training Opportunities: Brendon Bailod, Part II ROV Workshop with Mark Gleason. NAS Level I program
- Next meeting: Wednesday November 28th, 2012.
- This will be the UASC Annual Project Report. Featuring reports on progress made over the past summer on continuing UASC projects.
- Elections for UASC Officers will be held at the November 28th meeting.
- With the announcement oft the sale of the Helix building. UASC will have to find another meeting venue.
- Bob Rushman will be coordinating the search for our new space.
- All UASC members are encouraged to start thinking about this transition. Any suggestions for alternate meeting sites will be greatly appreciated.
- Refreshments to be provided by: TBA
- Requests: none made.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger (
) Refreshments coordinator.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers are always needed.