Written by John Gerty
Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 28 March 2012
- Approximately 53 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New Members:
- Guests: Lots and lots
- Guest Speaker: Jeanne Gang, of the architecture office Gang Group.
- Ms. Gang is a visionary architect wose firm is proposing the construction of a lagoon within a chain of islands to be created off the east side of Northerly Island. The island project is part of a greater plan involving the Chicago and Calumet River systems:
- Tonight's meeting was conducted by our President, John Bell. Refreshments were provided by John Gerty.
Board and Committee Reports
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer.
- We are in the fortunate position of exceeding our membership limit in our current email database. If you have more than one email address we may need to delete one. This also forces us to be strict with retaining members with unpaid dues.
- Web Site - Jack Bolous
- The latest WreckChecker is due to be posted. A high res version is included in the members' forum. The Survey Report Template, developed by John Bell is also available at the UASC Members' Only area on the UASC website.
- Send any information or suggestions to
- Content always appreciated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers: UASC won again in the ICSSD Underwater Competition, held Sunday March 25th at the PAvillion, in Elk Grove Village.
- Upcoming 2012 ICSSD events are:
- October 6th Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry sponsored by the Tritons.
- President's Night - Oct 27th or Oct 13th
- DiveHeart Liaison - Don Doherty
- Trip to Cozumel planned.
- Diveheart is looking for donations of old scuba gear for pool training.
- Check the DiveHeart web site for info on upcoming events.
- Ghost Ships Festival, at the Wyndom Hotel, near Mitchell Field, Milwaukee, is the next big event before dive season starts to kick into high gear
Our Current UASC Officers and Committee Chairs:
- President: John Bell
- Vice President: Bob Rushman
- Treasurer: Bob Gadbois
- Secretary: John Gerty
- The following committee heads are either continuing or taking on new posts:
- Newsletter Editor: Delphine Pontvieux
- Speaker Coordinator: Jim Jarecki
- Survey Coordinator: John Gerty
- Webmaster: Jack Bolous
- Refreshments Coordinator: Dan Kasberger
- Membership Chair: Scott Reimer
- ICSSD Liaison: Claire Gadbois
- DiveHeart Liaison: Gene Hasiak
- Safety Coordinator: Chet Childs
- Training coordinator: Beth Plotner
- Ghost Ships Festival - April 13-14, 2012
- This festival is held in South Milwaukee, and focuses exclusively on shipwrecks, mostly in the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Michigan.
- UASC will have a booth and probably some presenters.
- Next meeting: Wednesday April 25th, 2012.
- Speaker: Thomas J. Lutz, author of the book "Shaping Chicago, James S. Dunham's Crusade for the River". This book won the Henry N. Barkhausen Award for original research, and tells of the battles between the maritime interests and the rail transport interests over the development of the Chicago River in the late 1800s
- Refreshments to be provided by: Chet Childs
- THANKS to John Gerty for providing tonight's refreshments
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers are always needed.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.