Written by John Gerty
Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 25 July 2012
- Approximately 20 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New Members: Joseph Mendelsohn, welcome
This month's speaker is Craig Rich, Michigan Shipwreck Research Associates (MSRA). Craig is a veteran Great Lakes Master Scuba Diver with multiple specialities related to wreck diving. Mr. Craig is a co-founder of MSRA along with Valerie and Jack Van Heest and Geoffrey Reynolds.
This evening’s Bonus Speaker was current UASC Survey Coordinator and Secretary, John Gerty. He presented a dive video to a recently discovered section of hull from the Rail Car Ferry No. 2. This piece is 21' x 10' and lies about 100' west of a point 40' forward from the port corner of the stern of the Car Ferry
- Tonight's meeting was conducted by our President, John Bell. Refreshments were provided by Joseph Mendelsohn
Board and Committee Reports
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer.
- We are in the fortunate position of exceeding our membership limit in our current email database. If you have more than one email address we may need to delete one. This also forces us to be strict with retaining members with unpaid dues.
- Newsletter - Delphine Pontvieux
- 2 great issues have been produced so far this year. Articles, graphics, dive reports and all other contnet, don’t appear spontaneously. Our newsletter is the product of a member driven organization, content is always needed.
- Web Site - Jack Bolous
- Send any information or suggestions to
- Content always appreciated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- President’s Night will be October 27th, at Morettis’s Restaurant,at Busse Rd and Oakton. It will cost $25 per person for the banquet.
- Upcoming 2012 ICSSD events are:
- October 6th Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry sponsored by the Tritons.
- President's Night - Oct 27th, at Morettis's Restaurant,at Busse Rd and Oakton. It will cost $25 per person for the banquet.
- DiveHeart Liaison - Don Doherty
- Diveheart is looking for donations of old scuba gear for pool training.
- Check the DiveHeart web site for info on upcoming events.
Our Current UASC Officers and Committee Chairs:
- President: John Bell
- Vice President: Bob Rushman
- Treasurer: Bob Gadbois
- Secretary: John Gerty
- The following committee heads are either continuing or taking on new posts:
- Newsletter Editor: Delphine Pontvieux
- Speaker Coordinator: Jim Jarecki
- Survey Coordinator: John Gerty
- Webmaster: Jack Bolous
- Refreshments Coordinator: Dan Kasberger
- Membership Chair: Scott Reimer
- ICSSD Liaison: Claire Gadbois
- DiveHeart Liaison: Gene Hasiak
- Safety Coordinator: Chet Childs
- Training coordinator: Beth Plotner
- July 29th is the Jim Haigh Memorial Dive at Haigh Quarry
- September 1th is International Beach Clean-up Day\ICSD President's Night will be October 27th at Morettis's Restaurant at Busse Rd and Oakton. It will cost $25 per person for the banquet.
- August 18th or 19th there will be a UASC training picnic at Haigh Quarry.
July 22nd UASC members saw the play: Eastland: An Original Musical At the Lookingglass Theater
Thanks go to Todd Hitezman for organizing this event.
- Next meeting: Wednesday August 27th, 2012.
- Speaker: Craig Rich, Michigan Shipwreck Research Associates
- Refreshments to be provided by: TBD
- THANKS to
Joseph Mendelsohn for providing tonight's refreshments
- Requests: none made.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger (
) Refreshments coordinator.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers are always needed.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.