Written by John Gerty
Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 29 February 2012
- Approximately 28 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New Members: Lucy Ann Werner
- Guests: Cynthia Sipata
- Guest Speaker: UASC Project Leaders Presenting Plans for the 2012 Survey Season:
- John Bell:
- Side Scan Sonar Survey Techniques and Car Ferry Reference Grid
- John & Ruth Loftus:
- Tony Kiefer:
- Zion Schooners are actually a steam barge.
- Don Doherty:
- Michael Angelo Gagliardi:
- Greg Lane:
- Jim Jarecki:
- Tonight's meeting was conducted by our President, John Bell. Refreshments were provided by John & Kat Bell.
Board and Committee Reports
- President - John Bell
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes, written by John Gerty, from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Treasurer – Bob Gadbois reported the status of the treasury
- Office Max to print the latest WreckChecker
- Renew the Post Office Box
- Contact Bob for further details
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer No new changes.
- Renewal notices for 2012 have been mailed to all members. 2012 dues are due by January 1st.
- Some renewals have been received for 2012 from OWU, CMF and from tonight's meeting.
- Web Site - Jack Bolous
- The website has been updated with special features. Most notably there is a Members Only area featuring new, detailed content such as the latest WreckChecker and members' forum.
- Send any information or suggestions to
- Content always appreciated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers: Signup sheets available for working the ICSSD booth and the OWU show at large.
- Upcoming 2012 ICSSD events are:
- March 25th Sunday - Underwater Competition from 11 am to 5 pm, at the Pavillion in Elk Grove Village. ( UASC are the reigning champions. )
- October 6th Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry sponsored by the Tritons.
- President's Night - Oct 27th or Oct 13th
- DiveHeart Liaison - Diane Gulczynski
- Trip to Cozumel planned.
- Don Doherty: Diveheart is looking for donations of old scuba gear for pool training.
- Trip to Cozumel planned.
- Check the DiveHeart web site for info on upcoming events.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- Tonight's presentation is the report
- Safety - Chet Childs
- Nothing to report at this time.
- Other Items:
- A storage space has been provided to UASC by Helix Photo. A file cabinet is now included. Artifacts and other UASC materials will finally have a common home. Cataloging of UASC materials shall be conducted in the course of 2012
Our Current UASC Officers and Committee Chairs:
- President: John Bell
- Vice President: Bob Rushman
- Treasurer: Bob Gadbois
- Secretary: John Gerty
- The following committee heads are either continuing or taking on new posts:
- Newsletter Editor: Delphine Pontvieux
- Speaker Coordinator: Jim Jarecki
- Survey Coordinator: John Gerty
- Webmaster: Jack Bolous
- Refreshments Coordinator: Dan Kasberger
- Membership Chair: Scott Reimer
- ICSSD Liaison: Claire Gadbois
- DiveHeart Liaison: Gene Hasiak
- Safety Coordinator: Chet Childs
- Training coordinator: Beth Plotner
- Ghost Ships Festival - April 13-14, 2012
- This festival is held in South Milwaukee, and focuses exclusively on shipwrecks, mostly in the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Michigan.
- UASC will have a booth and probably some presenters.
- Next meeting: Wednesday March 28, 2012.
- Speaker: Jeanne Gang The Architect proposing the the Creation of an island ringed lagoon off Northerly Island.
- Refreshments to be provided by: John Gerty
- THANKS to John and Kat Bell for providing tonight's refreshments
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers are always needed.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.