Written by John Gerty
Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 29 August 2012
- Approximately 28 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New Members:
This month's speaker was Ross Richardson. He provided a captivating presentation documenting his search for the propeller steamship Westmoreland. Lost December 7th, 1854 off Sleeping Bear Dunes, in Lake Michigan. This is one of the great mythological treasure ships of the Great Lakes. Her safe may contain gold and her hold has barrels of whiskey.
This evening's Bonus was a video of the Buccaneer. It documented the effects that two years worth of Lake Michigan waves have had upon the vessel, even though she is 70 feet down.
- Tonight's meeting was conducted by our President, John Bell. Refreshments were provided by adhoc group
Board and Committee Reports
- President - John Bell
- Secretary - John Gerty provided copies of the minutes, from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Treasurer – Bob Gadbois reported the status of the treasury
- Contact Bob for further details.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer.
- We are in the fortunate position of exceeding our membership limit in our current email database. If you have more than one email address we may need to delete one. This also forces us to be strict with retaining members with unpaid dues.
- Web Site - Jack Bolous
- Send any information or suggestions to
- Content always appreciated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- President’s Night will be October 27th, at Morettis’s Restaurant,at Busse Rd and Oakton. It will cost $25 per person for the banquet.
- DiveHeart Liaison - Don Doherty
- Diveheart is looking for donations of old scuba gear for pool training.
- Check the DiveHeart web site for info on upcoming events.
Our Current UASC Officers and Committee Chairs:
- President: John Bell
- Vice President: Bob Rushman
- Treasurer: Bob Gadbois
- Secretary: John Gerty
- The following committee heads are:
- Newsletter Editor: Delphine Pontvieux
- Speaker Coordinator: Jim Jarecki
- Survey Coordinator: John Gerty
- Webmaster: Jack Bolous
- Refreshments Coordinator: Dan Kasberger
- Membership Chair: Scott Reimer
- ICSSD Liaison: Claire Gadbois
- DiveHeart Liaison: Gene Hasiak
- Safety Coordinator: Chet Childs
- Training coordinator: Beth Plotner
Last Month's Events
- The August 18th Picnic and Archaeological Training Program at Haigh Quarry was a great success. Participants practiced measuring techniques for archaeological sites. Sample shipwreck outlines were located a defined space and various plotting methods were tried out. John Bell used his side scan software to assimilate the information and plot it.
- Participants also conducted and underwater exercise where various styles of drawings were made. Technical and Artistic qualities were judged. Jonathan Plotner was the best artistic study. Bob Hughes and Julie Scheibe won on technical merit.
- President's Night will be October 27th at Morettis's Restaurant at Busse Rd and Oakton. It will cost $25 per person for the banquet.
- September 26th Meeting has scheduled Peter Hirthe, President of the Wisconsin Marine Historical Society, Milwaukee. The subject will be about his new book: "Schooners of Lake Michigan" with a special emphasis on research using the Great Lakes Marine Collection of the Milwaukee Public Library.
- Proposed Workshops and Training Opportunities: Brendon Bailod, Part II
- ROV Workshop with June Speaker Mark Gleason.
- NAS Level I program
- Rouse Simmons Centennial Program. Don Doherty and Chet Childs
- Next meeting: Wednesday September 26th, 2012.
- Speaker: Peter Hirthe, President of the Wisconsin Marine Historical Society, Milwaukee.
- Sale of Helix Building: An announcement was made about the sale of the Helix building. This will probably result in in UASC having to find another meeting venue. All UASC members are encouraged to start thinking about this transition. Any suggestions for alternate meeting sites will be greatly appreciated.
- Refreshments to be provided by: TBD
- THANKS to everyone for providing tonight's refreshments
- Requests: none made.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger (
) Refreshments coordinator.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers are always needed.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.