Written by John Gerty
Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 25 April 2012
- Approximately 27 members and 5 guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Thomas J. Lutz, author of "Shaping Chicago" A biography of James Dunham, who had enormous influence over the development of the Chicago River and our lakefront. Mr. Lutz's writings led to the Henry Barkhausen Award for Original Research, bestowed by the Association for Great Lakes Maritime History in 2006. This culminated in the publication of this book.
- Michaelangelo Gagliardi demonstrated various techniques he has developed to process video imaging of Chicago region shipwrecks into mosaic renderings. The process relies upon video studio decompilers and photoprocessing software.
- Tonight's meeting was conducted by our President, John Bell. Refreshments were provided by Chet Childs.
Board and Committee Reports
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer.
- We are in the fortunate position of exceeding our membership limit in our current email database.
- Newsletter - Delphine Pontvieux
- 2 great issues have been produced so far this year. Articles, graphics, dive reports and all other contnet, don’t appear spontaneously. Our newsletter is the product of a member driven organization, content is always needed.
Web Site - Jack Bolous
- The latest WreckChecker is due to be posted. A high res version is included in the members' forum. The Survey
- Report Template, developed by John Bell is also available at the UASC Members' Only area on the UASC website.
- Send any information or suggestions to
- Content always appreciated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers: UASC won again in the ICSSD Underwater Competition, held Sunday March 25th at the PAvillion, in Elk Grove Village.
- Upcoming 2012 ICSSD events are:
- October 6th Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry sponsored by the Tritons.
- President's Night - Oct 27th or Oct 13th
- DiveHeart Liaison - Don Doherty
- Trip to Cozumel planned.
- Diveheart is looking for donations of old scuba gear for pool training.
- Check the DiveHeart web site for info on upcoming events.
- Ghost Ships Festival, at the Wyndom Hotel, near Mitchell Field, Milwaukee, is the next big event before dive season starts to kick into high gear
Our Current UASC Officers and Committee Chairs:
- President: John Bell
- Vice President: Bob Rushman
- Treasurer: Bob Gadbois
- Secretary: John Gerty
- The following committee heads are either continuing or taking on new posts:
- Newsletter Editor: Delphine Pontvieux
- Speaker Coordinator: Jim Jarecki
- Survey Coordinator: John Gerty
- Webmaster: Jack Bolous
- Refreshments Coordinator: Dan Kasberger
- Membership Chair: Scott Reimer
- ICSSD Liaison: Claire Gadbois
- DiveHeart Liaison: Gene Hasiak
- Safety Coordinator: Chet Childs
- Training coordinator: Beth Plotner
- NAS Field School Courses: June 2nd-17th
- Sponsored by Northwestern Michigan Archaeology Society
- More details at: www.NASNMC.com
- Next meeting: Wednesday May 30th, 2012.
- Speaker: Sgt. Ray Mazzola of the Chicago Police Marine Unit
- Refreshments to be provided by: Margo and Chuck Miller
- THANKS to Chet Childs for providing tonight's refreshments
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger (
) Refreshments coordinator.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers are always needed.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.